Montenegro is prone to natural disasters, in particular, to floods. Flood mapping is a crucial element of flood risk management. Since 2013 under the framework of Climate Change Adaptation project supported by GIZ and aimed to improve adaptation to climate change in the Western Balkans (Albania, the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia and Kosovo), in particular, in the fields of flood and drought risk management Montenegro took steps for improving flood management system. More specifically, the country undertook a task of developing the plans for protection and rescue from floods and mapping vulnerable areas of flooding in 5 municipalities in Montenegro (Kotor, Herceg Novi, Budva, Pljevlja and Rožaje) in order to improve the flood risk disaster management system at local level.
GIS experts and other local and national experts have done flood risk maps for 5 municipalities in GIS using relevant data especially available historical data as well as have prepared municipal protection and rescue plans from floods.
GIS risk maps have been integral part of municipal plans for protection and rescue from floods and consists following:
- Households (households in vulnerable areas, with data on number of children, adults, persons with disability, number of floors of the house, number of additional facilities)
- Economic and noneconomic facilities (property, purpose, number of floors),
- Educational facilities (kindergartens, schools and other educational institutions in vulnerable area and in its surrounding (number of children, pupils, students),
- Municipal facilities (municipal facilities that can serve for response in case of emergency situation /floods in this case),
- Traffic facilities (bridges and culvert in vulnerable areas, petrol stations, gas stations, harbour, dockyard),
- Road infrastructure (flooded roads and alternative roads),
- Health facilities (hospitals, health centres, ambulances),
- Shelters (existing underground shelters as well as hotel capacities that can serve for the purpose of shelter during emergency situations),
- TK emitters (locations of base Stations due to coverage of area with telephone signal),
- Sewerage network (within vulnerable area),
- Flood zones.
As a result of the project municipal plans for protection and rescue from floods for 5 municipalities (Kotor, Budva, Herceg Novi, Pljevlja and Rožaje) were adopted, the National plan for protection and rescue from fires and floods was updated, and the capacity of representatives of protection and rescue services was strengthened through a training for using GIS tools, study visit to institutions responsible for early warning system and prevention, preparedness and response in case of floods in Germany, people in vulnerable area of Skadar Lake were informed about risks of floods in Montenegrin and Albanian language.
Partners: GIZ, the Ministry of Interior; municipal protection and rescue services, Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, Institute of Hydrometeorology and Seismology and Red Cross of Montenegro.
Montenegro, Podgorica, Ministry of Interior - Directorate for Emergency Management
Contact persons: Mr. Ljuban Tmušić and Ms.Zorica Marković
Phone: +38220481815; +38220481816