Traceability and value chain solutions have been introduced to the Egyptian agro-industries since 2004 with the support of UNDO. The aim is to strengthen agricultural value chains and ensure that, in terms of quality, safety and traceability, Egyptian food products are safe for consumption and do not encounter barriers to trade.
The solution offers the followings:
- Upgrading supply chains in response to local and international market demand through enhancing competitiveness, productivity, and compliance with. international standards and traceability requirements.
- Introducing integrated solutions to reduce post-harvest losses and improve cost efficiency throughout the supply chain.
- Upgrading supply capacity by promoting group and contract farming and enhancing demand and supply linkages.
- Improving competencies of human resources throughout the supply chain by providing customized qualification programs and supporting educational institutions to meet business demand.
- Strengthening export potential of the agro-industrial sector by enhancing compliance with quality specifications and environmental requirements.
- Exchanging experience and knowledge at the regional level on traceability and related standards, and transferring advanced technologies in the agro-industrial field.
By securing exports in compliance with international standards the traceability system improves working conditions for workers and achieves safer jobs.
The actions taken have raised awareness on value chain approaches and built the capacity of agro-industry actors through the trainings and technical assistance in implementing traceability systems, starting from simple paper-based systems to complex software assisted ones. In addition, the system has developed local software with better customization in terms of environment and language which was transferred to several other countries in the Arab region and beyond it, such as Tunisia, Algeria, Morocco, Lebanon, Ghana, India, Vietnam, Moldova and South Africa.
Partners: UNIDO Egypt, Ministry of Trade and Industry and Ministry of Agriculture
UNIDO Regional Office in Egypt
2, Latin America Street, Garden City, Cairo - Egypt
Alaa Fahmy, National Programme Officer
Tel. + (202) 227943477
Mob. +20 (0)1000397575
Fax + (20 2) 27921199