Goals and objectives: Gap Youth Index represents the ratio between the rate of youth and adult calculated for the different areas (unemployment, participation, health, risky behavior and violence) to identify and assess gaps and disparities at the policy level. By having displayed a coherent picture of youth vulnerabilities, the Youth Index may serve as a tool to develop a strategic plan that defines the midterm youth priorities.
Implementation: The solution was launched by the National Youth Council of Moldova with support of UNFPA and has been implemented in Moldova since August 2015. The resource group representing experts and practitioners from youth relevant sectors developed a report that
- appraised the mechanisms applied by the ministries in their endeavours to cover youth rights, interests and difficulties with their policy documents, as well as ways of getting youth involved in the advisory process along with the extent to which their objectives and activities are targeting the youth and
- proposed a set of measures aimed at improving youth status.
Achievements: The Youth Index has identified priority areas and raised awareness of central public authorities about youth needs. The Ministry of Youth and Sport has adopted a new approach for evaluation methodology of National Strategy of Development of Youth Sector.
The data collection system of National Statistical Bureau was adapted for youth age limit and offers a possibility to see disaggregated indicators. Given the content and purpose of the Youth Index, it can be used by various stakeholders:
- By policymakers: The Youth Index stresses both the areas where the youth situation is satisfactory and those who are vulnerable, having focused the authorities’ attention on those that require state intervention through integrated policy. To this end, the state authorities may tailor the regulations so that the latter meet youth needs.
- By investors and funding institutions: Having defined the gap boundaries by areas, the Youth Index could be seen as a useful source of information on possible strategic development directions and potential involvement. Given the shortage of means, the funding institutions could deploy their resources to develop programs and projects intended for vulnerable groups, thus, having produced a great impact on improving the youth living conditions.
- By the civil society: Having a comprehensive vision towards the youth situation underpinned by statistical data, civil society stakeholders could easily identify those areas requiring involvement, including the development of project proposals.
Replication: The solution was replicated in Georgia and Ukraine.
Partners: Ministry of Youth and Sport, UNFPA Moldova, National Bureau of Statistics, Ministry of Internal Affairs, Ministry of Health, Ministry of Economy.
Republic of Moldova
National Youth Council of Moldova, Secretary General
Phone number: (+373 22) 235 175 / (+373 69) 531 061
Website: www.cntm.md / www.youthforum.org