Geographic focus: Morocco, Mauritania, Gabon and Senegal
Thematic focus areas/sectors/practices supported by the mechanism:
Sharing of common mechanisms allowing for improved coordination of international cooperation notably decentralised. Better understanding of the political intervention of the different partners in support of decentralization and local development with a view to transfer good practice and mutual learning between neighbouring countries.
Steps/stages in practical application of the mechanism:
- Signing of the Convention of South-South Cooperation Partnership between the 4 countries.
- Elaboration of a joint work plan that has established a flexible South-South cooperation system as according to its latest Memorandum of Understanding (MOU)for 2011 2012. Such MOU includes: sharing of experiences in SSC exchange, expert exchange, setting up of knowledge networks between the countries using local level governance and local strategic planning.
- Organisation of a mission to Mauritania (Presenting Moroccan expertise in capacity building of local authorities).
- Organisation of a mission to Gabon (Supporting local planning and development guidelines for international cooperation),
Results to Date:
- A participatory benchmarking exercise of existing trainings in Morocco, Mauritania, Senegal and Gabon.
- Based on initial results, a set of good practices was identified and a first draft of the Training Plan of Mauritanian actors for decentralization was developed.
- As according to the 20112015- Strategic Plan for Management and Training of Administrators and Technical Staff of Local Authorities within the Ministry of Interior (DFCAT);
Commitment from both DFCAT/Local Government in Morocco to support the process
- development of a Training Catalogue/identification of training needs,
- elaboration of an Monitoring and Evaluation training plan and
- implementing training of trainers.
- Members of the National Executive of the Unit Programme and Provinces/Local Branch Groups were trained on the development of the guidelines and the mobilization of decentralized cooperation.
- A draft of the guidelines for pilot provinces was developed.
- A Roadmap for the guidelines for the ART Gold UNDP initiative for Gabon was developed (Articulating Territorial and Thematic Networks, Governance and Local Development).
- A training tool kit on the local programming cycle was shared.
Focal Point and Contact:
13 Rue Ahmed Balafrej, Rabat, Morocco.